Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day 9

I have always been fond of black and white photography. I feel that with the absence of color, all that is left is emotion. At times, emotion is derived from the colors in a photograph, dark violent reds, bright playful yellows, deep calm blues. Other times, the times most suited to black and white photos, emotion is derived from subject matter or context. One of my newest favorite pictures is a monochromatic taken of my grandfather before I was born. The playful attitude of the photo comes not from his clothes or surroundings but from his expressions and actions. This picture, at least I hope, conveys a sense of calm and security, togetherness, a unity of upper body and lower, hand and foot. The black and white should draw out the contours of flesh on leather and the darkness of the background conveys its lack of importance. Well, there's my technical spiel for the week/month/year/decade and here's the photo to enjoy.


Power and speed be hands and feet.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment